When you comb through the marketing blogs, a lot is made about how to build awareness for brand when they’re firmly entrenched in the market. But when you Google “path to market” there isn’t much there.
The path you take to getting your product on the shelf may be the hardest marketing challenge you’ll ever encounter. There are a lot of questions to answer:
- What is your pricing structure?
- What are the preferred retailers?
- How can you get distribution with your preferred retailers? What will they expect from you?
- How will distributors view this product? Will they care enough to spend any time selling it?
- How will the retailers view the product?
- Where is the preferred shelf position?
- Does it fit on their shelf?
- Will retailers be patient enough to let you test different shelf positions?
- Will it deliver on expectations?
- What is the minimum amount you need to sell to maintain your distribution?
- Will they buy into the consumer marketing plan?
- This is just a start. There are probably a million more questions you’ll need to ask yourself when you’re in launch mode.
Then… when you accomplish all of that, how will you gain the attention of consumers, build awareness and then loyalty. As you can see, there’s a lot to do before you can just sit back and start thinking of creative ways to engage the consumer.